Sunday, February 5, 2017

Greenhouse Nursery

Today our Biomiler is a bit different since our last post. 


We recently added a little greenhouse nursery. 
The biomass of the Biomiler will prevent the plants from getting to cold. 
See for yourselves how easy it is. 

The structure is made out of bamboo. Together with Alika we have built everything in less then a day. 




There are 4 Bamboos that hold the structure:
2 are screwed to the structure of pallets that stores the Biomiler and for the other corners we made holes about 30 CM deep. 
I know that this structure will not last longer then 2 years. Especially because we have to re-build the Biomiler around June. But life at the farm is always fickle.
I had squash in a underground nursery (another project that I'll post soon) but it wasn't hot enough for the squash to germinate. 
I moved the squash to the new nursery and after 3 days the squash finally germinated.
I measured the outside temperature 9.5Cº and inside the nursery  17Cº. That is a good growing temperature.
I have to get a better thermometer, to register lowest and highest temperatures and then provide more precise data.




To add even more retaining heat sources I got 2x50 and 2x60 liter black buckets,that I filled up with the hot water from the shower. 
Now I have 200 liters of warm water in black buckets they will radiate some heat back at night, contributing for a slower loss of heat inside the nursery.




Some impressions about the Eco-Shower.

It would be a good idea to know how much heat I can get out of the shower. I'm still collecting data and measure the temperature to estimate how many people can shower in specific intervals. 
So far if somebody takes a long shower (8-10 minutes) it would take, around, 10 to 15 minutes for the water to warm up enough for the next person.

The  wasted water is channeled to a pile of old hay where it can filter.
We are looking forward to add a tank to this system, that filters the gray water. With the filtered water we could irrigate the surrounding trees.
Thanks for reading and keep following!!



1 comment: